How do you make Celery Soup? Add stories, then stir.
CPI proudly partnered with Creative Sanford, Inc to develop Celery Soup, a series of folk life plays dedicated to bringing the tales and histories of Seminole County to life.
With CPI's guidance and the hard work of many Sanford volunteers over three years, Celery Soup launched their inaugural production, Touch and Go, on October 21, 2010 to a sold-out crowd. Touch and Go tells the stories of the people of Sanford, Florida: their struggles, their victories, their losses and their indomitable spirit. The full-length production featured original music and a cast of 70 local actors, of all ages, from all parts of Sanford.
The popular production has had several successful remounts since. You can see what Celery Soup is up to now on their beautiful website, as well as their Youtube and Facebook pages.
CONVERSATIONS and REVIEWS:
- Listen to NPR WMFE's Mark Simpson talk to Richard Geer and Jules Corriere
- Read a glowing review in the Orlando Sentinel
- Watch Creative Sanford's Trish Thompson on pARTicipate!-The Cultural Advantage
- Celery Soup received the 2011 Cultural Preservation Award from the City of Sanford and the Historic Trust.
- "On behalf of the City of Sanford, the Sanford Historic Trust would like to thank Creative Sanford, Inc. for capturing the stories of Sanford's past and present residents. The time, energy, and expense that Creative Sanford, Inc. has invested in preserving Sanford's intangible cultural heritage serves to improve the overall image of our city and benefits the community as a whole. On a grander scale preservation and promotion of the community's stories poises Sanford for a new future as a leading destination for heritage tourism in Central Florida."